Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in the White House Liaison’s Office (WHLO) is seeking motivated students interested in an opportunity to participate in a part-time, unpaid internship program for the Fall 2015 cycle. (Information attached)
Fall interns will have an opportunity to work alongside DHS employees, gain critical work experience, and build invaluable relationships. The WHLO Intern Program provides a robust and exciting experience where participants feel challenged with substantive projects and are afforded unique exposure to various sections and components of the Department.
“I was fortunate enough to be selected by WHLO to work as an intern during Summer 2014. I was placed in the Office of Public Affairs, where I worked on the “If You See Something, Say Something™” campaign. I was actively involved in the campaign, and I definitely felt my work was valued. Also, thanks to WHLO, I was able to participate in a number of professional development opportunities for interns, such as field trips, tours, and meet-and-greets. It was a great experience!”
- Meghan G, Pennsylvania State University
How to Apply:
- Email your resume, completed application, statement of interest, transcript and one letter of recommendation to WHLOintern@HQ.DHS.GOV by midnight, Thursday, August 14th. Early submissions of applications are encouraged.
- On your resume, be sure to include your GPA, work experience, community service, and updated contact information.
- Must be enrolled at a university, college or community college at least part-time
- Must be able to pass a full background check
- Student is available to work at least 20 hours a week for a minimum of 8 weeks
DHS Departments include:
- Office of Legislative Affairs
- Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Office of Public Affairs
- Office of Policy
- White House Liaison’s Office
- National Protection Programs Directorate
- Customs and Border Protection
- Immigrations and Customs Enforcement
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Transportation Security Administration
- Federal Emergency Management Administration
- United States Coast Guard
Security and Start Date:
Once students have been interviewed and selected, they will need to be cleared through security, which takes 4-6 weeks. After students have been cleared, it is then that a start date will be set for the student to commence their internship in the fall.
For the application form please visit https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iI2K5MgqCUQjlxbWkwODJwd3c/view?usp=sharing.