The Undergraduate Summer Analyst Program provides outstanding undergraduate students with the opportunity to gain valuable work experience at a unique institution. Through advanced project work assignments and professional development activities, analysts are provided with an extensive understanding of the work of the New York Fed. Summer analysts will be given the opportunity to enhance their business skills through critical financial analysis, formal presentations, research and writing.
Analysts are assigned to a particular area or function for the summer, but they will also have opportunities for collaboration with other analysts and with employees from around the Bank. In addition to their daily responsibilities, analysts attend events and weekly presentations hosted by senior management. These presentations provide an extensive overview of the Bank's responsibilities and operations, and offer a unique opportunity to learn about full-time career opportunities upon graduation. The summer program is the largest recruitment source for the New York Fed's full time campus hiring.
The Research Group at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York conducts long and short-term research and provides analytic support for the Bank's responsibilities relating to monetary policy, banking supervision, payments systems, funding facilities and other economic and financial issues.
As a summer analyst in Research, responsibilities may include:
- Assisting economists and research associates in the analysis of current public policy issues and events;
- Assisting economists and research associates in long-term, academically orientated research projects;
- Conducting econometric, computational, and analytical research intended for Bank publications as well as academic journals; and
- Programming in statistical packages such as SAS, STATA, and MATLAB
The Summer Analyst Program requires that applicants complete their sophomore year of college by the beginning of the internship. The program is extremely competitive and size is limited. As a summer analyst in Research applicants must have a demonstrated interest in economics, public policy, mathematics or statistics, and a strong academic record. Additional requirements include:
- Apply to at most two (2) Undergraduate positions;
- Demonstrated experience in using large databases and statistical packages;
- Solid analytical and decision-making abilities;
- Ability to provide concise, articulate and insightful economic analysis in written and verbal form;
- Good leadership skills with the ability to think strategically and demonstrate a broader viewpoint on assignments.
Please include a resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript and writing sample.
Application can be found here: https://www.newyorkfed.org/careers/current_opportunities.html
Application Deadline: January 15th, 2016 (11:59 PM EST)*
*Applications received after the deadline will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Students are strongly encouraged to apply by the deadline.
Please note, summer housing is not provided.