The Baltimore Jewish Council (BJC) is a local non-profit which serves as the advocacy and community relations arm of Baltimore’s organized Jewish community. The Council represents over 50 Jewish organizations and synagogues, including the Associated Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore. BJC’s mission focuses on government relations, Israel advocacy, inter-community relations and social justice.
The internship will focus on BJC’s Government Relations program, which advocates in support of government resources for Jewish agencies and the policy priorities of the Jewish community.
Interns will have a unique opportunity to view our dynamic organization in action. BJC Interns are involved in all aspects of our programming, including, legislative activities, research, event planning, public relations and policy development. Interns will be mentored by the Director of Government Relations and will have significant opportunities to interact with elected officials and staff.
Responsibilities may include:
- Drafting written testimony
- Monitoring key legislation
- Assisting in planning and staffing of BJC Advocacy Day
- Planning special community events, including our Maryland U.S. Senate Candidate’s Forum
- Researching key advocacy issues
- Providing administrative support as needed
- Other projects as assigned by the Director of Government Relations
Successful candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Superb written and oral communication skills
- Dedication to the values of the Jewish community and Israel
- Knowledge of Maryland political system
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Strong organization skills with attention to detail
- Motivation to take initiative on new projects
1. The intern will receive a stipend
2. We expect 15-20 hours a week, but days and hours are flexible
3. The Intern is required to work out of our Annapolis office
4. Application deadline is December 28, 2015
To apply, please provide a resume, letter of interest, and writing sample to:
Director of Government Relations
Once your application and references have been received, we will contact you to schedule an interview.