The Department of Homeland Security Office of Intelligence and Analysis (I&A) Internship Program is for current undergraduate and graduate students looking to begin an exciting career in homeland security and intelligence. I&A offers internships in the functional areas of Intelligence Analysis, Intelligence Operations, Management/Support, Information Technology, and Policy. The I&A Internship Program is designed to provide the experience and skills needed to produce capable and well-rounded Homeland Security intelligence professionals. All I&A internships are located in Washington, D.C.
In order to attract a diverse workforce nationwide, the I&A Internship Program offers full-time summer programs, as well as year-long programs for local students in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan Area. Interns are expected to work full-time during the summer and part-time during the academic year.
Office of Intelligence and Analysis
I&A interns are paid federal employees with positions ranging from GS-3 to GS-9 pay grades.
Eligibility & Security
You must meet the following to be eligible for the I&A Internship Program:
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at an accredited university
- Be a U.S. citizen and able to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- Maintain/Achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Complete Selective Service Registration if you are a male applicant born after Dec. 31, 1959
DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully complete a background investigation and be granted a Top Secret/SCI clearance as a condition of placement in this position. This review includes financial issues such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses, and the illegal use or possession of drugs.
The job opportunity announcement will open on October 23, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. and will close on Friday, November 6, 2015.
Application Process and How to Apply
Students can apply on USAjobs(https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/419113700) or on the DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis Student Internship website (https://www.dhs.gov/ia-internship) before Friday November 6th.
- October: Job opportunity announcement opens
- November–Mid-December: Internal selection and processing
- Late December: Selected candidates complete security paperwork
- Early May: Eligible candidates notified to report on duty
- Late May/Early June: Interns enter on duty in Washington, D.C.
I&A will only consider complete applications. Veterans' Preference does apply; therefore, qualified veterans should also submit a copy of their DD214 to ensure proper consideration.
Who to Contact for Additional Information
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Internship Program Coordinator at IA-InternshipProgram@hq.dhs.gov.