The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) and the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education’s Center for Minority Serving Institutions (CMSI) have partnered in an effort to increase the opportunities for the most financially challenged students from the nation’s nearly 600 Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs). CIEE has pledged 100% of all exhibitor fees related to its annual conference in 2016, 2017, and 2018 to support study abroad scholarships for students from MSIs.
Each year, the scholarship funds will cover 100 percent of program fees and travel costs for 10 students from MSIs. Each cohort of 10 students will take part in a summer study abroad program designed to enhance their leadership and intercultural skills in one of three locations: London, England (summer 2017); Cape Town, South Africa (summer 2018); and Seoul, South Korea (summer 2019). The CMSI will award the study abroad scholarships annually based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and presidential nomination.
- Applicants should be undergraduate college students that classify as rising Sophomores or rising Juniors at the time of participation (summer 2018)
- This application is for students interested in the Fellowship for participation in the summer 2018 experience in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Fellowships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, academic achievement, and presidential nomination
- Awards will cover the full cost of travel and participation in a four week study abroad program sponsored by CIEE
- 10 Fellows will be selected from accredited Minority Serving Institutions
- Fellows will be expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their MSI community upon their return to campus
- Fellows from prior cohorts are ineligible from applying again
Online application due by September 15, 2017: Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship. All checklist items should be submitted through the online application.
- One Nomination Letter from University/College President
- Copy of Transcript
- Proof of Pell Grant Eligibility
- One Personal Video o Upload a short 2-minute video that provides a detailed explanation of your objectives for study abroad. In this explanation, discuss how the combination of your major and participation in study abroad will support your development and help you become a global leader. Also, discuss how this particular scholarship will help you meet your goals.
- One Personal Essay o Discuss why you believe study abroad is important for students from Minority Serving Institutions and how you plan to share your study abroad experience with others upon returning (no more than 800 words). o You may wish to read about Minority Serving Institutions & Study Abroad here.