Democratic candidate for NY-19 is in search of a WASHINGTON, DC-BASED press intern to work with a DC-based Communications Manager.
Candidates who do not include a cover letter or who do not mention politics in their application will not be considered. Applicants with no political experience should explain why they want to get into politics.
The intern will help garner media coverage for the candidate in both local (NY-based) and national (DC-based) news outlets. This is an opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in the political process, specifically around media and PR, under the guidance of an experienced communications professional. This is an opportunity for direct mentorship from a seasoned political communications professional.
This is NOT a full time internship, and candidates who are currently in school or have other jobs will be considered. The position will require 5-10 hours/week and can mostly be done remotely, with in-person "check-in" meetings at a coffee shop ~1-2 times a week. The Communications Manager is a fan of Compass Coffee, but is open to Starbucks if the intern insists.
- Assist Communications Manager in building out press list for Congressional district. Keep tabs on top reporters in the district
- Track candidate's travel schedule and reach out to NY-based media when the candidate is speaking or attending an event
- Help draft press releases and, if desired, opeds
- Directly assisting the candidate and campaign manager as needed (and as time/interest allows)
Qualified candidates must have the following skills:
- Political experience or convincing interest in progressive politics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Some working knowledge of Democratic politics; a strong interest in government, politics and/or communications is a bonus.
- Must have excellent writing and computer skills, organizational, and customer services skills. Candidates are to have patience and ability to work within a diverse group of individuals.
- Discretion and common sense when dealing with sensitive or timely information.
- School and work schedules are acceptable but must be flexible to work a minimum of 5 hours per week.
Salary: Unpaid; college credits offered
To apply: Please send resume and short cover letter.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $0.00 /month
- Washington, DC 20009
Please go to indeed.com to apply