Headquartered in Washington, D.C., UMD has built a formidable operations network throughout the U.S., Australia, Canada, and Europe, with membership spanning six continents.
Learn more about UMD by visiting http://www.umdiaspora.org.
The UMD offers internships (title: UMD International Policy and Diplomacy Fellow) throughout the year. The internship program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students interested in Macedonia, Southeast Europe, U.S. Foreign Policy, Human Rights, NATO, and European Union. The internship can serve as an effective means to introduce and advance a future career in foreign policy, journalism, public relations, human rights, advocacy, government, or the nonprofit sector.
- monitoring legislation and congressional hearings
- liaison with Congressional offices and advocating on subjects vital to the UMD
- attending events throughout Washington, D.C.
- conducting research on issues affecting U.S.-Macedonia and U.S.-Southeast Europe relations
- preparing memoranda
- drafting letters to the Congress and the Executive Branch
- drafting press releases, monitoring human rights in Southeast Europe
- organizing events throughout the U.S. and the world
- assisting with general administrative duties
UMD extensively works on EU and NATO-related issues as well and the intern will gain considerable insight and experience into how the EU and NATO operate.
The internship is open to undergraduate and graduate students. Prospective applicants from a variety of academic majors are welcome, and all majors are eligible. Candidates for UMD should expect to work a minimum of 16 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during the summer. This position is unpaid. However, a small monthly transportation stipend will be available. Full-time internships (5 days a week) will be given preference. GPA must be 3.5 and above.
- ability to work independently
- highly motivated, responsible and reliable individual with strong research and writing skills
- excellent oral communication skills
- strong organization skills
- comfortable with public speaking
- good at problem solving and developing his/her own initiatives
- team player
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references to Metodija A. Koloski at firstname.lastname@example.org.