The Brady Campaign and Center to Prevent Gun Violence is seeking a highly motivated, creative, and organized intern to join our Organizing Department for the 2016 fall semester. Come be a part of major grassroots and political organizing efforts around the issue of gun violence prevention during this key moment of forward momentum. Interns will report to a Regional Organizing manager but will work closely with the entire Organizing staff on a number of projects. This is a great way to get hands-on experience coordinating grassroots actions, congressional press conferences, lobby days, and other similar events while driving the country towards major positive, political change.
- Get first‐hand exposure organizing on any of Brady’s three major advocacy campaigns
- Understand the structure and strategies of various advocacy campaigns
- Work closely with survivors, victims, and activists from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Conduct research that is used to engage advocates into taking action
- Track policy changes, elections, and congressional movement on the issue of gun violence
- Learn voter outreach strategies and how to implement them
- Work with a range of team members to manage major events
- Be exposed to communications, legal and development teams while collaborating to support organizing initiatives
- A strong dedication to advancing sensible gun legislation and to helping reduce the full spectrum of gun violence
- Flexibility and willingness to work in a dynamic environment
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for working with affected community members to create change
- Proficiency with a variety of computer programs, namely Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Desire to be involved with the political process in a meaningful way
- Any previous experience in organizing, advocacy, campaigns or professional office environments are appreciated but not required
· This is an unpaid intern position
· College credit can be awarded
Duration of Internship:
- August 2016 to December 2016 (min. 15-25 hours/ week)
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) plays a vital, leadership role in achieving changes in gun laws, policies, and practices in this country. Our mission is to significantly decrease the number of gun deaths and injuries in America, helping to lead a new path toward the safer nation for all Americans. We achieve this through three critical strategies: 1) affect policy change by bringing to bear the voice of the American public; 2) change social norms around the 300 million guns currently in circulation through public health and safety campaigns; and 3) take legal action to hold the gun industry accountable for dangerous and irresponsible practices.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and your availability to email@example.com, indicating ‘Organizing Intern’ in the subject line.