The Law Office of Thomas Woodward is a Washington, DC law firm that exclusively practices immigration law. Although we provide legal assistance to immigrants from all walks of life, the firm was founded with a particular emphasis on promoting international human rights and providing aid to those who have had their rights violated. Many of our clients are seeking asylum from persecution abroad, have been trafficked to the United States, faced parental neglect or abandonment, had crimes committed against them, or were the victims of some other form of injustice. We believe that they all have the right to seek protection in a country that will respect their inalienable human rights.
About the Internship:
Currently we are seeking a part-time bilingual intern to work primarily with Spanish-speaking clients. The primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
- Translating from English to Spanish and vice versa
- Assisting clients with the completion of initial intake forms
- Helping the legal staff to conduct interviews with the clients to gather information and prepare them for USCIS interviews and Immigration Court hearings
- Attending conferences and events with the staff
- Contacting clients to follow up on documents, payments, appointments, and other necessities as instructed by the staff
Please note that many of our clients are victims of human rights abuses, including gender-based violence, torture, arbitrary arrests, and extrajudicial killings of family members and associates. Working with them will require a large degree of sensitivity, understanding, and professional compassion.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and Spanish
- Knowledge, interest, and experience with immigration issues
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously under pressure
- Attention to detail - proofreading and ability to incorporate edits
- Logistical and time management skills
To apply, please send a copy of your resume and a brief unedited writing sample in English.